California Coaster Kings rated many coasters, and although we’re usually not fans of listing/ranking rides or parks, we do create an annual California TOP 50! You might, and likely will, disagree, that’s totally fine! That’s what this TOP 50 is all about! Of the many rides in the state, we selected the 50 we think are best! Here are places 40-31 in the 2015 California TOP 50!
We would like for you to understand that all rides in our TOP 50 went through our own rating/ranking system that created a TOP 50, the way we think the rides are ranked best! By the time the entire TOP 50 has been published, our minds may have changed, because with this much variety and top quality rides in CA, it’s insanely hard to get to a ranking. You might as well say that these 50 are the best rides in CA, no matter which ride will take first place! Other than that; here’s our TOP 50 Part TWO:
- 40 – Timber Mountain Log Ride – This ride was deemed revolutionary when it opened, and after the major refurbishment in 2013, the Timber Mountain Log Ride has proven to be one of the best rides in the state! The immersive theming, combined with two thrilling drops, and a unique Knott’s taste dropped this amazing family ride in on the 40th spot!
- 39 – Tower of Terror – This ride takes riders through the haunted Hollywood Tower Hotel, and then drops them into the Twilight Zone. A thrilling, and very immersive experience that adds some thrills to the Disneyland Resort’s line-up! Thus dropping itself into spot 39 on our list.
- 38 – Indiana Jones: Temple of the Forbidden Eye – Join Indy, Salah, and friends on a journey through the Temple of the Forbidden Eye. This ride, considered the first dark ride/thrill ride combo, easily makes it onto our list at the number 38 spot due to its excessive theming, huge popularity, and unique experience.
- 37 – Transformers The Ride 3D – Transformers: The Ride 3D is the perfect modern dark ride. The combination of super Immersive 3D screens and awesome practical sets and effects make this ride what it is. Along the way you will encounter many characters from the franchise such as Bumblebee and Optimus and in all honesty, this ride does a better job of putting you in this universe than the movies ever did. The narrative elements keep you focused on the task at hand and this ride is just great. Just like Pirates, it doesn’t have very many physical thrills, thus it’s spot in part two of our Top 50, but this is the gold Standard for modern dark rides.
- 36 – Sierra Sidewinder – One of California’s most underrated coasters. Sierra Sidewinder is one of the very few Mack Spinning Coaster outside of Europe, and is sure a must-ride coaster. This family coaster is a more-than-fun experience and is very re-ridable!
- 35 – Space Mountain – Space Mountain is one of the most famous coasters in the world, and is often referred to as the best coaster at Disneyland. The fantastic space theming before the actual ride begins immerses you in the environment that you are given. Once you crest the last lift hill, there’s no stopping. The quick maneuvers in the dark give this ride a sense of unpredictability as only the lights of distant stars illuminate your path. Backed by a great soundtrack, this is what indoor coasters are all about, thus, it makes our list.
- 34 – Journey to Atlantis – To make our top 50 list, there are more features than just speed and inversions. A ride has to be unique, engaging, and have an overall enjoyable and thrilling experience. Journey to Atlantis at Sea World San Diego, is an embodiment of these descriptions. This Mack Water Coaster features both a fun coaster, as well as a water ride part, to cool off on a hot California Summer day.
- 33 – Undertow – Undertow, Northern California’s only spinning coaster. This spinner is right on the Santa Cruz Boardwalk and sits on an elevated platform, providing riders with a great view of the beach. Not to mention, it has great line up of elements for a spinner. From the first banked drop that half the train will experience backwards, to the 85 degree banked turn, to the s curves, this ride keeps you spinning throughout. It’s awesome yet family friendly layout combined with its ideal setting is the reason we believe it is the best spinner in California.
- 32 – Revolution – Opened with the world’s first ‘successful’ Vertical Loop, Revolution has been a star at Six Flags Magic Mountain for many years. The OTSRs make the ride a bit less enjoyable, nonetheless Revolution is a great ride. it’s a good start for younger thrill seekers, and has that perfect classic steel coaster feel to it. Snaking through the forest and over the mountainous terrain, Revolution loops in to our 32nd spot!
- 31 – Jurassic Park: River Adventure – Featuring dinosaurs at every twist and turn, and incredible technology to make ‘The World of the Dinosaur’ come to life, this Vekoma manufactured ride would be enough for a relaxed boat ride… but Universal went above and beyond, and opened the world’s most expensive water-based attraction with a thrilling 84 ft drop splashdown at the end, earning it the number 31 spot on our list.
Thanks for checking out the second part of the 2015 California TOP 50! The next 30 spots will be published in the next couple of weeks! For spots 50-41, click here!
Follow us on our social media for exclusive coverage!